Re: [css-shapes] issue 16716, shape from rendered content

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 07:45:29 -0700
Cc: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>

On Jun 5, 2013, at 10:24 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

> the requirement
> for using shapes from SVG elements that I've already moved out of the
> current draft.
>
> ... The most-frequently-requested method for defining a shape
> is using the alpha channel of an image, which the first level includes.

I don't understand. what has been moved out? I still see much about SVG in the draft.

If the image is an SVG, and there is 'mask-source-type: alpha', then doesn't the 'a' of the rgba values in the SVG determine the shape? Given a solid shape against a transparent background in an SVG file, is this not the same as "using shapes from SVG elements"?