Re: [css3-text] letter-spacing and ligatures

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 21:53:30 -0700
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
On 6/5/13 1:38 PM, "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:

>> When the effective letter-spacing between two characters is not zero
>> (due to either justification or a non-zero specified optimum), user
>> agents should not apply optional ligatures.
>
>This is left over from the definition of letter-spacing with min/max
>values.
>When letter-spacing is not 'normal', ligatures should be disabled.  They
>are
>not disabled based on justification.
>
>I would suggest this wording:
>
>  When 'letter-spacing' is set to an explicit length value,
>  optional ligatures enabled by default are explicitly disabled.
>
>Cheers,
>
>John Daggett

Zero is an explicit length value - do you mean to have
'letter-spacing:0px' turn off ligatures? That seems odd to me. I'm not
sure what the intent of the 'enabled by default' phrasing is. I'd suggest
just removing the parenthetical:

  When the effective letter-spacing between two characters is not zero

Then either:

  user agents should not apply optional ligatures.

Or

  optional ligatures enabled by default are explicitly disabled.

Thanks,

Alan