Re: [cssom-view] value of scrollLeft in RTL situations is completely busted across browsers

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 12:13:28 +1200
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> Scrolling to the "start" is handled by navigating to #top, at least for
> viewports. Is there a use case for doing that for elements?

I'm not sure.

I'm a bit worried that scrollLeft starting at a value > 0 in RTL situations
may confuse some scripts. But maybe that doesn't matter.

I'm OK with your proposal to make scrollLeft be purely physical and having
0 be the leftmost possible scroll position. However, I don't want to change
Gecko until the other major vendors also agreed to do this, since that's an
unpopular behavior right now and clearly the IE team made a deliberate
decision to make scrollLeft logical.

I think we should wait with introducing logical scrolling APIs until we
> have interop on the current set of APIs and there is a demand from authors
> for logical scrolling APIs (e.g. popular frameworks implement such APIs).

I agree.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq