Re: extract elements from within the "overflow viewport" ?

From: Netmosfera <netmosfera@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 14:12:19 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
Il 02/06/2013 08:24, Tab Atkins Jr. ha scritto:
> Why are you using overflow:hidden here? Are you floating the <a>s to
> make a horizontal bar, and need the <div> to contain them? Better to
> switch to Flexbox, which makes horizontal bars easy without these
> kinds of hacks. ~TJ

it was just an example, overflow:hidden will be used also with flexbox
the only way to hide the overflowing content is always
overflow:hidden|scroll, but you don't always want it applied to all elements

that's not a hack, in my opinion a tooltip/menu that is related to some
element, should be inside that element
events will be dispatched and retargeted in the proper way and
stylesheets will work as they should do

i used flexbox (mozilla's) and that was a frequent issue

another solution could be creating a new position value (for example,
position:popup)
that behaves like position:fixed (that looks to be "outside of any
element") but with top|bottom|left|right calculated releatively to the
closest position:relative|absolute ancestor