Re: [css-break] Behavior of breaks in <BR> elements

On 07/23/2013 05:21 PM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas wrote:
> lately I've been playing with some examples of breaks in <BR> elements
> and the behavior is not consistent in different implementations (Gecko
> vs WebKit/Blink).
>
> Summarizing my tests:
> * Page breaks:
>   * Gecko: They work in <BR> elements.
>   * WebKit/Blink: You need to set "display:block;" and "content:"";" in
> order to have a break.
> * Column breaks:
>   * Gecko: They do not work in <BR> elements.
>   * WebKit/Blink: Like in previous case you need to set display block
> and content in order to have break. The same happens for region breaks.
>
> It seems that <BR> elements are considered inline. According to the
> css-break spec [1], forced breaks can only happen in block elements.
>
> So the question is if the following example should break or not:
> p {
>     column-count: 2;
>     height: 200px;
> }
> br.break {
>     column-break-after: always;
> }

> What should be the expected behavior?
> Should it break if you add "display:block;"?
> And if you add "content:"";" too?

I didn't get any feedback yet. But, someone suggested me to try to
reproduce the same behavior with a <SPAN> element and the results are
somehow similar.

In Gecko a <SPAN> without "display:block" works for page breaks. In
WebKit you need to set "display:block" or you don't have breaks and they
work for page, columns and regions (for <SPAN> element "content:""" is
not needed).

Does it ring a bell?

Thanks,
   Rego