Re: [css-regions] Reworking getNamedFlows()

On 7/31/13 1:04 AM, "François REMY" <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:

>Just another reason why not having getNamedFlow(id) is problematic:
>
>- you may want to ask the NamedFlow for a flow that doesn't exist yet
>because the style hasn't been computed (or, depending on the browser, it
>may or may not have been computed because of different codepaths).

I am not sure about this use-case. Why would you want to do such thing?
Can you please elaborate?

>- if you do so, you receive null or undefined with the current method,
>because it returns a static list of currently active flows, but cannot
>guarantee you it's up-to-date orelse it would have to flush the layout in
>the same way as offsetHeight does.
>
>- there's no way to tell the browser you want to get the corresponding
>named flow immediately in order to setup events on it, even if it's
>currently not in use.

Again, I would like to understand more about the use-cases you are
thinking.

Before moving further with the discussion, would you like to detail the
behavior of getNamedFlow(flow_identifier) method? Is this method supposed
to stay on the Document interface? What should return this method in the
case you are calling with a flow_identified that does not exist at the
call time?

Cheers,
M.