Re: [css3-ui] Support cropping in the middle of texts using 'text-overflow'

On Jul 18, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Kenneth Auchenberg <kenneth@auchenberg.dk> wrote:

> Great initiative to get this much desired functionality speced out .
>
> Do we know of similar middle text truncation is implemented in platforms, like Mac OSX?
>
> Would be great with consistency between the web and existing platforms.
>

> -
> Kenneth Auchenberg
> +45 53 22 22 33
>

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As I already proposed earlier[1] there should be a way to allow truncating text contents in the middle.
>> I was asked to add the current proposal to the W3C wiki to allow further discussion on this. So here it is:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Text-overflow_middle_cropping
>>
>> There are definitely still some unconsidered parts, so it would be great to hear some opinions on this.
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Apr/0336.html

I understand the need for text-overflow-min-width, but I don't really get why we need start, middle, and end values. If text-overflow-min-width is more than zero (1ch, for instance), then the ellipsis or string or clipping would happen in the middle somewhere, and you would not then also want additional ellipsis, strings in other positions (and the clipping would occur as a natural result of where the the one ellipsis or string did go).

Also, I think text-overflow-min-width would need to be more of a suggestion than an absolute, as you would probably want to ensure at least one character at the start, in case the value was larger than the length of the line.