Re: [css-grid] Dense Packing (Masonry algorithm)

Tab Atkins Jr. writes:
> As a further note, while the classic Masonry jQuery plugin used sparse
> packing, there have been many requests over the years for dense
> packing, and several variants that do it.  I can't find the recent JS
> library that does dense packing that I was looking at previously, but
> it looks quite nice.

You are right in that Masonry doesn't really do dense layout like
described here. But at the same time, it doesn't do sparse layout
either. It adds to the bottom of the shortest column. This gives similar
results to dense grid layout if the items always have a multiple of the
grid height.

I can't think of a CSS layout that does what I just described here. Is
there one? If not, should there be one?