Re: A property for font antialiasing control on Mac OS X

From: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:44:16 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On 17/7/13 22:57, L. David Baron wrote:

> As far as values go, the use cases I present above only provide use
> cases for two values:
>
>    auto (initial value, equivalent to -webkit-font-smoothing: auto)
>
>      User agents are permittent to use any type of antialiasing
>      (including not doing antialiasing at all).
>
>    grayscale (equivalent to -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased)
>      (alternative names:  only-grayscale, grayscale-only)
>
>      User agents are permittent to use any type of antialiasing other
>      than subpixel antialiasing (including not doing antialiasing at
>      all).
>
> I don't see a use case for making the values requirements rather
> than maxima (in other words, values that set the maximum type of
> antialiasing allowed, under the model that subpixel > grayscale >
> none).  I also don't see the use case for a 'none' value that would
> disable any type of antialiasing.

There have been occasional requests for something like this (though I
don't have examples at my fingertips). E.g. for a web implementation of
a classic video game, using a font such as
http://www.1001fonts.com/arcadeclassic-font.html, the author may want to
suppress -any- antialiasing of the text.

JK