Re: [selectors] Finding a way to run "complete" profile selectors in CSS

On 7/11/13 8:24 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
>wrote:
>> On 7/11/13 5:09 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>...what?  No.  I'm asking for what the usage patterns of "slow
>>>selectors" might be, so we can decide what solution best addresses
>>>them.
>>>
>>>The problem in question is stated right at the very beginning of my
>>>email.
>>
>> Solutions to the 'problem' should be derived from use-cases. Instead
>>we're
>> making up solutions and then asking what problems they'd solve to
>>validate
>> them. You really think nothing can go wrong here?
>
>I'm not sure exactly what you're having trouble with.  Or maybe I just
>don't understand exactly what you're asking for use-cases for?  I
>explained the basic issue - there's a set of selectors that are, in
>general, too slow for normal CSS matching.  Are you arguing against
>that, or asking for examples of those selectors in use?  (If you are,
>that's a completely different question - I'd be happy to justify the
>addition of each of the "slow" selectors in a separate thread.)
>
>If that's not what you're asking, then you'll have to be more
>specific.  The use-case is "these selectors are useful, but I want to
>use them in normal CSS rather than just qSA", and should be pretty
>much self-explanatory.  Is this not sufficient? What else are you
>asking for?

Ah. So you provided the use-case and concluded by asking 'what are the
use-cases?'. That clarifies it!

Fwiw Francois provided input that was much closer to use-cases. And
from some of these we can determine there are other solutions.