Re: [css-regions] restricting flow-from further

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 7/10/13 2:08 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>>> Do you have a use case for creating a region chain out of list items? Do
>>> people use lists to create layouts?
>>>
>>> Or are you asking me to add an additional caveat that flow-from does not
>>> apply to elements whose display-extras property resolves to list-item?
>>
>>Neither.  I'm saying that if you can put a region into a display:block
>>element, excluding display:list-item elements (which desugar into
>>"display-outside:block-level; display-inside: block; display-extras:
>>list-item;", identical to what "display: block" desugars into save the
>>last property) is just perverse.  It's a restriction for no reason.
>
> Given that display-extras is merely a proposal, I'm skeptical that current
> implementations have refactored list items sufficiently that extending
> region support from blocks to list items would be a simple task. The
> reason for the restriction would be to avoid implementation cost for
> little to no gain.

I protest a decision being made based on implementation concerns that
have nothing to do with any theoretical inefficiency, nor on any
merely-practical-but-still-large issue, but merely on the fact that
some impls use separate classes for list items and blocks.  There's no
reason to break the conceptual model here.