Re: [css3-fonts] ordinals

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 01:18:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-style@w3.org

fantasai wrote:

> I guess I was a bit confused while reading the spec and thought they
> were a variant of number forms so I didn't comment, but why are
> ordinals under 'font-variant-numeric'? From my (new) understanding,
> they're not numbers.

It's under 'font-variant-numeric' because it's associated with the
formatting of ordinal numbers, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.  The variant glyphs
substituted are the raised versions of 'st', 'nd' and 'rd'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinal_number_%28linguistics%29

Note: ordinals are not superscripts even though they are often
confused with them.

Cheers,

John Daggett