RE: [css3-writing-modes] real vs. synthetic width glyphs

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 01:33:45 -0400
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
> Koji, we're specifying a spec for web content not for Word/Ichitaro/InDesign.
> If existing web forms on some Japanese sites already require the use of
> full-width digits for address entry, it doesn't make sense to assert that there
> won't be content using full-width digits when those same addresses happen
> to be displayed vertically.

I understand that. The point neither of us can assert is that if web authors want to use CSS to make form-entered address entries into vertical flow with text-combine-horizontal: digits 2 without any pre-processing of text. My guess is no, and it looks like you think it's a valid use case.

Since both of us are based on guesses, and our guesses are different, I don't know how to find the right answer.

I'm ok to require it if you strongly insist, but if we do, I would like to make Kana as exception to convert to half-width. I thought you do not like CSS specs to have a list of code points, are you ok with this?

/koji