Re: Github mirror: how does it work?

On Jun 25, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Peter Linss <peter.linss@hp.com> wrote:
>> I've been exploring what it would take to make the bridge bi-directional, allowing pushing to either repository. There have been some attempts which work for simple cases, but there are gotchas dealing with branches...
>
> We shouldn't worry about branches - only the master branch should be
> canonical.  Ideally, we should reject pushing non-master branches to
> the repo.

Unfortunately it's not so simple. I'm also not just talking about long-term, named branches, but the local, unnamed branches that are just part of the workflow of a dvcs. We can only enforce the end state of what someone pushes, if we try to enforce intermediate steps, it's way too easy for someone to get their local repo into a state where they can never push again. There's nothing preventing people from creating and merging branches locally.

Peter