Re: lazy loading for images via css

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 10:18 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> > I wonder if an alternative would be an on-demand( <url> ) function that
> > could go anywhere that url() can go today? Then it could work for
> > sounds, or other resources.
>
> Yes, this is another direction we could take.  Only issue I have with
> this is that the most common case for urls in CSS is images,
Right.

> We could do both, treating the defer as a property of the url, such
> that applying it via either method works, even when combined.  Or we
> could just do images for now, and wait for demand for other types of
> urls to add the more generic solution?

I don't have strong feelings, just wanted to make sure the more generic
version was considered. I do think we'll see more resource types in the
future but supposition can't get in the way of practice.

For the background image example you give, I can imagine having only
some images as marked "defer", e.g. that are likely to be off-screen
before scrolling. But maybe that's not necessary, marking them all as
defer would be sufficient, since the browser can't actually tell which
ones it needs and when until it knows their sizes.

Liam