RE: [css3-text] Balance Text proposal

From: Randy Edmunds <redmunds@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:05:48 -0800
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Peter,

>> We'd need to decide whether shrink-to-fit containers would respond to
>> the possibly shorter line lengths.
>
> Can you say a bit more about the cases you're thinking of here?  I'm thinking that
> text-wrap:balance shouldn't affect that, but it may well be that I'm not thinking
> of the same cases you are.

The auto-table-layout cells case is what came to mind. I don't think it's critical that the cell shrinks to the content width for text-wrap:balance, but was wondering what others would expect. I think it could be an opportunity for improving the efficiency of table layouts.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Randy