[selectors4] Proposal for :min-width() / :max-width() pseudo-classes

From: Mike Gossmann <mike@c572.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:20:01 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
I've posted this proposal before, but as I didn't even receive a copy
of that email, I can only assume something went wrong somewhere, or I
posted to a dead thread. If that's not the case then I apologize in
advance for reposting this.

The original email can be found here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Jan/0141.html and
was supposed to be part of this thread:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Dec/0223.html

The key part is this:

> I'm not too sure on the terminology, but I think that this can be
> summarized as ":min-width()/:max-width() apply properties based on the
> width of the parent element's content-box immediately before the child
> element is added."  I'm fairly certain this avoids the risk of any
> kind of loop, while still allowing the person writing the CSS to style
> elements based on how much space is available to them.

There's a better breakdown and an example in the linked post.

--
Mike