Re: [css3-fonts] Editorial: @font-face never uses the family name in the downloaded font data

Simon Sapin wrote:

> In §4.2 Font family: the font-family descriptor:
>
> > This descriptor defines the font family name that will be used in
> > all CSS font family name matching, overriding font family names
> > contained in the underlying font data.
>
> This seems to imply that the family names in the downloaded data are
> used if the font-family descriptor is not provided. But this is not
> the case according to §4.1:
>
> > @font-face rules require a font-family and src descriptor, if
> > either of these are missing the @font-face must be ignored.

Simon, I don't see how rules covering the lack of *descriptors* in any
way contradicts the fact that font family names contained within font
data are ignored.  The value of the 'font-family' and 'src'
descriptors is in no way related to the font family name given within
font data.  Conflating "family names in the downloaded data" with
"value of the font-family descriptor" seems like a simple
misreading of the spec as written.

> §4.2 could be re-worded with something like "font family names
> contained in the underlying font data are never used."

I think the rule for handling @font-face rules lacking a 'font-family'
or 'src' descriptor are already clear, adding a sentence like the one
you propose just muddies the water I think.

Cheers,

John