RE: [cssom] Proposal for obtaining robust style information via Javascript - getStyle()

Hi,

Actually the information you want to get is the cascaded value of a property. This value is accessible (with some caveats) in IE via the 'currentStyle' property of an element.

   element.currentStyle.marginLeft == "auto"

This is not the first time this issue is brought to this mailling list (search for 'currentStyle' in the archives). The last time, it seems like the favored approach would have been

   element.getStyle(

      DOMString
        'property-name'

      optional DOMString
         '::pseudo-element'

      optional DOMString
        | 'used'
        | 'computed'
        | 'cascaded'
        | 'specified'

   )

However, I don't think the discussion continued forward. I agree this is an issue, as is anything which is done by the browser and not harnessable by the scripting (now, the best option you have will be to reperform the matching/cascading yourself, and I guess this is what devtools are doing).

François