Re: Media Queries and optimizing what data gets transferred

* Henri Sivonen wrote:
>https://github.com/igrigorik/http-client-hints/blob/master/draft-grigorik-http-client-hints-00.txt

>I understand that there are various situations where the user can do
>things such as print, zoom or change screen orientation and browsers
>have a good reason to already have downloaded the data that ends up
>applying according to Media Queries after such a user-initiated change
>of user agent state. That is, *I* understand why Media Queries work
>how they work. However, to the extent Web authors prioritize the
>avoidance of data transfer over the design's ability to dynamically
>adapt to such changes of state, I think it would be better to give Web
>authors that control with Media Queries instead of having Web authors
>take that control by other means (JavaScript libraries or HTTP-level
>solutions—either cookie-based or supported by the browser as in the
>Client-Hints proposal).
>
>Thus I propose that Media Queries gain a way to be flagged as
>evaluated only at page load time such that the browser promises to the
>Web author that it won't eagerly download data that's not applicable
>in the state the browser is in during the page load.

This seems somewhat far removed from the proposal above. The proposal
above for instance conveys "bandwidth" information through some HTTP
header. Your proposal does not seem to cover that in any way, and it'd
seem worth to http://www.w3.org/mid/5101A021.3070709@lamouri.fr point
out that elsewhere other people propose to expose such information in
the form of JavaScript APIs. Could you clarify the relationship between
your proposal, the proposal you cite above, and the proposal for the
"Network Information API"? You make it sound like if your proposal is
adopted, the `draft-grigorik-http-client-hints-00.txt` proposal would
be somehow less relevant, but I don't really see that so far.