[css3-flexbox] Should "overflow: [scroll, hidden, auto]" apply to a flex container?

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:05:38 -0800
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Hi www-style,

Question: Should a flex container honor "overflow:[scroll,hidden,auto]"?

>From my reading of the spec, I think the answer is "no -- overflow
should have no effect on a flex container".  But the implementations in
Chrome dev channel & Opera 12.12 seem to disagree with me, so I figured
I'd get clarification and see if I'm missing something.

Here's a testcase, FWIW:

My reasoning for why "overflow" should have no effect:
 (a) The property definition specifically targets "block container
       # This property specifies whether content of a
       # block container element is clipped when it
       # overflows the element's box

 (b) The flexbox spec explicitly says:
       # Flex containers are not block containers

So, combining (a) and (b): "overflow" specifies something about block
container elements, and flex containers are not block containers --
hence, overflow should *not* apply to flex containers.

Am I missing something?

(Whichever behavior is determined to be correct, this could probably
stand to be clarified in the flexbox spec.)