Re: Proposal for a scrollbar-safe width calculation

From: Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 23:51:07 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Am 25.01.2013 19:45 schrieb Tab Atkins Jr.:
> As far as I can tell, this is equivalent to changing the scrollbar to
> be an "overlay" one that doesn't take up space.  Am I right?

It is somehow the same and somehow the opposite. It serves the same
purpose, having a consistent width regardless of the presence of a
scrollbar, but instead of overlapping the content, the space of the
scrollbar is reserved. Just like overflow:scroll, but instead of showing
an inactive scrollbar when no scrolling is possible, the element's
background is shown at this place. If a UA shows scrollbars 16px wide
this would be equivalent with:

I agree that these are quite similar cases and should probably be
addressed together, if there is a consent to address one of them. I have
no feelings about a width-calculation property; I'd be happy with a
value for overflow, or whatever. And I assume that when implementing
your proposal of overflow:overlay (or whatever the wording will be), it
would not cause big extra implementation cost to also implement a
variant that reduces the element's content by the width of the scrollbar.

As some trends from smartphones and tablets tend to get into desktop
computers, browser vendors might plan to introduce auto-hide overlay
style scrollbars anyway, which would make both our proposals obsolete.