Re: Proposal for a scrollbar-safe width calculation

From: Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 23:51:07 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Am 25.01.2013 19:45 schrieb Tab Atkins Jr.:
> As far as I can tell, this is equivalent to changing the scrollbar to
> be an "overlay" one that doesn't take up space.  Am I right?

It is somehow the same and somehow the opposite. It serves the same
purpose, having a consistent width regardless of the presence of a
scrollbar, but instead of overlapping the content, the space of the
scrollbar is reserved. Just like overflow:scroll, but instead of showing
an inactive scrollbar when no scrolling is possible, the element's
background is shown at this place. If a UA shows scrollbars 16px wide
this would be equivalent with:

overflow:overlay;
padding-right:16px;

I agree that these are quite similar cases and should probably be
addressed together, if there is a consent to address one of them. I have
no feelings about a width-calculation property; I'd be happy with a
value for overflow, or whatever. And I assume that when implementing
your proposal of overflow:overlay (or whatever the wording will be), it
would not cause big extra implementation cost to also implement a
variant that reduces the element's content by the width of the scrollbar.

<aside>
As some trends from smartphones and tablets tend to get into desktop
computers, browser vendors might plan to introduce auto-hide overlay
style scrollbars anyway, which would make both our proposals obsolete.
</aside>