Re: [css3-ui] Proposal for an "overlay" value for 'overflow'

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2013, at 2:41 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just tested the jsfiddle in Lion, and the results seem to depend on the "General" System Preference for the "Show scroll bars" setting. If it is set to "When scrolling", there is no difference between the two property values. If it set set to "always", then 'overlay' does indeed overlap and obscure the content. (Reload the page after changing the system pref, or you get other results).
>>
>> The "When Scrolling" feature makes the scrollbars always be overlays,
>> right?  If so, then it's unsurprising that "auto" and "overlay" act
>> the same.
>
> Right. What was surprising is that it wasn't really useful for, say, emulating the "When Scrolling" mode while in the other mode. The scrollbars just always obscured content whether scrolling or not, when in "always" mode.

Yeah, I agree that overlay scrollbars that only show up when scrolling
are way better than ones that are just present all the time.

>>> It doesn't seem to useful in Mac Safari. Maybe it does something nicer looking on Chrome in Android or something, if it perhaps used more transparent scrollbars?
>>
>> It's obviously not pretty if it's overlapping content.  The point of
>> it is to address the problems that Markus brings up in the thread
>> about vw/vh
>
> Are you sure, or just speculating? Was there more information about it in a commit message or something?

I don't understand the question.  I was referring to my own proposal,
here in this thread, to standardize the value.  I have no idea why it
was originally added to WebKit.