Re: [css3-conditional] @supports all

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:35:47 -0800
To: Nicholas Shanks <nickshanks@nickshanks.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Friday 2013-01-25 13:27 +0000, Nicholas Shanks wrote:
> I would like to propose an additional keyword for @supports, "all".
> When this is specified, all properties within the at-rule must be supported.
>
> for example:
>
> @supports all {
>     body { color: white; background-color: black; }
> }
>
> is shorthand for:
>
> @supports (color:white) and (background-color:black) {
>     body { color: white; background-color: black; }
> }

While this appears useful in simple cases, I think any complex usage
would either be difficult to maintain or very likely to lead to
errors.  For example, inside a large @supports all block, somebody
might add some reasonable "progressive enhancement" that's known to
be supported in only some browsers without noticing that it's in an
@supports all block.

I'm against adding it; it was an intentional part of the design of
@supports that the author actually consider the condition.

-David