Re: Styling HTML placeholder attribute

Obviously it would be terribly confusing, but has the option of both
pseudo-class and pseudo-element been discussed?

`input:placeholder` would be used to describe an input element whose
placeholder is visible and `input::placeholder` would be used to style the
placeholder.

The spec specifically defines placeholders as only existing when there is
no text in the input, but in my mind I've always wanted placeholders to
double as type-ahead hint text as well.

If something like this were ever allowed in the future (input text and
placeholder text being shown at the same time) then the color property of
`input:placeholder` clearly couldn't apply to the placeholder text. It
seems like using the color property to refer to both is limiting.