Re: Styling HTML placeholder attribute

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:01:23 +0100
To: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: "Lea Verou" <lea@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "Mounir Lamouri" <mounir@lamouri.fr>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:23:18 +0100, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2013, at 2:08 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:03:51 +0100, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Example test:
>>>
>>> <!doctype html>
>>> <title>UA stylesheet rule vs. author stylesheet rule with lower
>>> specificity</title>
>>> * { display: inline; }
>>> head { display: block; }
>>
>> Uh, that should be "display: none;", of course. (Muphry's law [sic]
>> strikes again? :)
>
> Which line? The one with the selector for 'head'? I'm confused as to
> what you are trying to show.

Yes, the one for 'head', otherwise the title and style would show up which
would look messy. But the point is that the UA stylesheet is presumed to
set "display:block" using "p" as a selector, and the specificity of "p" is
higher than that of the "*" in the author stylesheet. But the author rule
wins nevertheless, and the paragraphs are shown as inlines.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Opera Software ASA