Re: Styling HTML placeholder attribute

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:03:51 +0100
To: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: "Lea Verou" <lea@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "Mounir Lamouri" <mounir@lamouri.fr>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 06:40:37 +0100, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2013, at 5:12 PM, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> The main issue with that is that if authors don't style it but they do
>> style input, the UA stylesheet can't override that with
>> input:not(:completed), similarly to how a UA’s a:hover won't override
>> the author’s a. But a :placeholder pseudo-class has the same issue. I
>> wonder how browsers implementing placeholders with a pseudo-class have
>> solved this. Are they violating the cascade or am I missing something?
>
> A UA stylesheet with an 'a:hover' rule defined should override what the
> author has for the same property in an 'a' rule, because 'a:hover' has
> more specificity.

This is incorrect, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#cascading-order ("Sort rules with
the same importance and origin by specificity of selector"). Example test:

<!doctype html>
<title>UA stylesheet rule vs. author stylesheet rule with lower
specificity</title>
* { display: inline; }
head { display: block; }

--