Re: Styling HTML placeholder attribute

FWIW, I'm not necessarily advocating that placeholders should
be transition-able, I was merely pointing out a possible reason in favor of
pseudo-elements other that just opacity.

Lea, building off your example, here was the point I was trying to make
about the differences with transitions between pseudo classes vs elements.

Firefox version w/ pseudo-class (notice when you delete text the transition
is messed up)
http://dabblet.com/gist/4616098

Webkit version w/ pseudo-element (this is much nicer and more intuitive IMO)
http://dabblet.com/gist/4616106

And Sylvain, I agree 100% that mimicking the exact behavior of popular
jQuery plug-ins should not be a design goal. It was just an example.