RE: Styling HTML placeholder attribute

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:19:11 +0000
To: Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>
[Lea Verou:]

> My 2 cents:
>
> 1) Existing implementations aside (which are a strong point for
> (:):placeholder, agreed), weren't use cases like this supposed to be
> tackled in a general way by enabling authors to style shadow DOM elements?
> What happened to that idea? Same goes for ::value.

Fwiw that is also feedback I gave Tab regarding a placeholder pseudo; if HTML
controls ever become web components, retro-fitting legacy pseudos we introduce
today to work around the limitations of other features will probably not be
good times. To be fair I don't think it'd be too hard; I just don't think this
is how you'd want to do it if you started from scratch.

As for shadow DOM/Web Components, I believe work is definitely going on there.