Re: [selectors4] No definition for individual pseudo-elements?

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:20:36 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Le 22/01/2013 17:08, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Simon Sapin<simon.sapin@kozea.fr>  wrote:
>> Section 3.5 gives the general rules and definitions about pseudo-elements,
>> but lacks the definitions for individual pseudo-elements that selector3 has.
>> Is this intentional? If so, where are these definitions supposed to be?
> Intentional - we wanted to split out pseudo-elements, which are more a
> part of CSS proper, from Selectors, which are more tech-neutral.
>
> Right now the definitions live in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css4-pseudo/

Ok.

Suggestion to "fix" this:
At the end of section 3.5, add something like:

> The host language defines which pseudo-elements exist and their
> meaning. For CSS, [[CSS21]] defines the ::before, ::after,
> ::first-line and ::first-letter pseudo-elements.

… with a link to
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#pseudo-element-selectors

The second sentence could be a non-normative note.

When css4-pseudo advances a bit, selectors4 can reference it instead of
or in addition to CSS 2.1.

--
Simon Sapin