[css3-grid-layout] min-content / max-content definitions

From: Julien Chaffraix <julien.chaffraix@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:58:16 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi everyone,

The specification defines 'min-content' and 'max-content' in very
imprecise words [1]:

* max-content is a keyword which refers to the maximum of the max
sizes of Grid items occupying the Grid track.
* min-content is a keyword which refers to the maximum of the min
sizes of Grid items occupying the Grid track.

On the contrary, the CSS 3 sizing specification [2] defines these 2
terms in a very precise fashion. It would be nice if the grid layout
would reference CSS 3 sizing or at least use an equivalent definition.
Note that we are taking the CSS 3 sizing's interpretation for WebKit
as it defines what the min / max sizes means for the logical height /
extent.

A side question is that if we re-use the CSS 3 sizing definition for
these 2, it is possible for the grid element to violate a fixed width
/ min-width / max-width set on the grid items as the "Intrinsic Size
Determination" algorithm doesn't account for any styling information.
I don't think it makes sense to ignore these in the context of the
grid items though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Julien