Re: Calling for a massive revamp of Paged Media and GCPM

On 1/14/13 11:49 AM, "Alan Stearns" <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

>On 1/14/13 11:40 AM, "Daniel Glazman"
><daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
>
>>On 14/01/13 20:29, Alan Stearns wrote:
>>
>>> @page {
>>>    @top-center {
>>>      flow-from: header-flow;
>>>      flow-persist: persist;
>>>      }
>>>    }
>>> @page { bottom-center { flow-from: footer-flow; }}
>>> header { flow-into: header-flow; }
>>> footer { flow-into: footer-flow; }
>>
>>Exactly.
>>That's if you use flows only. I would myself even get rid
>>of the @top-center and @bottom-center at-rules. Switching to
>>slots and using more regular positioning scheme allows
>>authors to better deal with them and our current CSS editing
>>software to easily deal with them.
>
>I don't know that it's necessary to get rid of the margin boxes, but I'd
>like to use a content persisting mechanism that would work with them
>and/or with a more flexible slot mechanism like you've proposed.

And if we put the persisting mechanism on the container rather than the
content (as I did above) it opens up a slick solution for the type of
display that shows the start of several articles, and lets you click
through to see an entire article. The New York Times iOS app is an example
of this. You could set up a region chain whose first region displayed the
beginning of an article but did not consume the content, then the second
and subsequent regions would start again at the beginning of the article.
You wouldn't have to duplicate content for a summary, and how much was
summarized could depend on the size of the summary container (or
conversely it could be determined by a region break and put in an
auto-height summary container).

Thanks,

Alan