Re: A proposed standard for CSS-controlled sentence spacing

Am 11.01.2013 20:31 schrieb Thomas A. Fine:
>> Perhaps instead do:
>>
>> .sentence:not(:last-child) { margin-right: .5em; }
>>
>> That way, if it's the last element in it's container, it won't have
>> the margin and will be able to justify.
>>
>> ~TJ
>
> No, that's not the problem, the problem is when a sentence lands on the
> right margin, using the box model causes it to wrap early.  Maybe not
> hugely incorrect for ragged right, but for right-justified text it
> completely disrupts the edge.

Yes. As a web author, I'd see your problem as a use case for some kind
of margin on inline and floating elements that collapses at the
container boundaries.

I see more use cases for this kind of margin, mainly horizontal
navigations marked up as lists, where graphic designers often ask for
bigger space between the list elements, than between the container
boundaries and the first resp. last element in a line. You can't style
this using :first-child if there can be more than one line of elements.

--
Markus