Re: A proposed standard for CSS-controlled sentence spacing

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:55:22 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
At 14:55 -0500 1/11/13, Thomas A. Fine wrote:

>Before I answer let me say this.  HTML should not take sides in any
>debate like this.  It should provide the necessary tools for either
>"side" of the argument.

    I know from the earlier incarnation of this thread that you feel
that 'white-space: pre-wrap' is insufficient for this purpose, but
I'm not at all clear as to why.  Surely that should preserve the
author's inter-sentence spacing intent quite clearly, and only
requires that they be careful about linefeeds just after the opening
tag and just before the closing tag[1] since those would be preserved
as well, if present.  I can't help but feel I'm missing something,
but what?

[1] I seem to recall a proposal to control how those linefeeds are
handled, but I can't seem to find it now.  Anyone have a lead for a
forgetful old-timer?

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/