RE: [css3-conditional] What does @supports return when the OS prevents the support?

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 19:38:13 +0000
To: James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com>, CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>

[James Nurthen:]

> When the CSS processor "supports" a value BUT the OS prevents the support
> from actually occurring what would be the result?
> For example. Would
> @supports (background-color: #CCC) return true or false when running in
> Windows High Contrast mode where background colours are not applied.
>
> It would be very useful if this would return false - so this situation
> could be detected in CSS and appropriate styles applied.

What would you expect when the document is being printed and the color might
either end up in a shade of grey or the UA might disable backgrounds entirely
when printing based on a user setting?

Whether the UA supports a particular property-value pair and what the target
media does with this same feature are orthogonal in my mind.

Granted, I am somewhat biased since we have already implemented it that way[1].

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465764.aspx