Re: [css3-variables] custom properties and cascading variables

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:36:42 -0800
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> The current ED of the CSS Variables spec uses different terms to
> describe the definition and use of variables.  I understand that
> there's a need to distinguish what is being defined here from what
> programmers or web authors typically think of as "variables" but I
> think the use of these separate terms is confusing and isn't the best
> way to describe the concepts being discussed.
[snip]

This separation was done on purpose, to address feedback and to help
emphasize that custom properties *aren't* just for variables.

As illustrated in example 2, custom properties are also useful for
passing around data solely for use in JS.  For example, "var-" can be
thought of as an "author prefix", similar to vendor prefixes, so that
JS can then be used to fill in the functionality afterwards.

As such, I don't want to use the term "variable" directly when
referring to custom properties.