[css-variables] typed variables, was: shortcut properties, fundamental limitation

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:22:42 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
Just an idea how to solve problem with shortcut properties and
variables in them.

If we will define that
a) var() function *shall always* accept fallback value and
b) that fallback value shall always static (known at parse time)

so it will look like this:

   var(<name>,<any-static-value>)

then the parser can handle this declaration:

  background: var(my-color, #FFF) var(back-repeat,no-repeat)
var(back-img, url(some.png));

and properly assign variables to "terminal" properties. That if
fallback values are correct by themselves.

So we don't need those artificial type names (c) Mr. Atkins.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com