Re: [css3-variables] Fallback vs. "invalid at computed-value time"

Le 24/02/2013 04:50, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> Actually, going back to my "typing" idea in my previous message, we
> can probably just invalidate the custom property itself, rather than
> just make it define an invalid variable.  That way, something like the
> following would work (again, purely hypothetical syntax):
>
> var-bg: #333;
> var-bg: conic-gradient(...) !type(image);
> background: var(bg);
>
> Again, by declaring at parse time how the custom property should be
> parsed, we can regain the benefits of the fallback mechanism.

Hum, interesting. I guess that could work.

But I keep thinking that we should reserve anything after "!" in Syntax.
With the current draft, "!type(image)" would be part of the variable
value in Variables Level 1. The var- declaration itself should be invalid.

> But this is definitely level 2 stuff.

Agreed.

--
Simon Sapin