Re: [css3-variables] Fallback vs. "invalid at computed-value time"

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 16:19:34 -0800
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Whoops, hit send too quick.

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I said above, implementors purposely didn't want multiple cascaded
> values, so this is the intended effect for level 1.  It is likely that
> authors will end up depending on this property, at least accidentally,
> and so we wont' be able to change it in the future.

That said, I'm looking forward to adding some form of optional typing
to level 2 of Variables.  Violating the type would cause the custom
property to be invalid, so that variable fallback ends up fulfilling a
similar purpose to the normal fallback.

Using a completely hypothetical syntax, it would be something like:

 var-bg: conic-gradient(/* … */) !type(image);
 background: var(bg, #333);