Re: [css3-multicol] Applies to block containers

Le Ven 22 février 2013 5:31, Peter Moulder a écrit :
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:53:02AM +0100, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>> Also sprach Simon Sapin:
>>
>>  > Le 21/02/2013 00:30, Håkon Wium Lie a écrit :
>>  > >   > I use "block container" as short for "block container box",
>> defined here:
>>  > >   >http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-container-box
>>  > >
>>  > > But properties apply to elements, not boxes.
>>  >
>>  > Do they?
>>
>> In the context of "applies to:", yes:
>>
>>   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/about.html#applies-to
>>
>> (Property/value combinations can also be set on pseudo-elements,
>> pseudo-classes, page selectors etc, so the whole story is a bit more
>> complex.)
>
> As you point out, that paragraph in CSS 2.1 is evidently wrong as written.
> This is part of the whole element-vs-box thing: lots of text in the CSS
> 2.1
> specifiction says "element" where it means "box".
>
> An example involving Applies-to lines is that both 'border-collapse' and
> 'border-spacing' property definitions say
>
>   # Applies to: 'table' and 'inline-table' elements
>
> In the appended example, there are no 'table' or 'inline-table' elements
> apply to, yet somehow 'border-collapse' and (in the case of the separated
> table
> model) 'border-spacing' evidently do apply: the properties are only
> explicitly
> set on block-level ancestor elements, and the properties inherit down into
> the
> anonymous table boxes, where they do apply.
>
> So I would be inclined to write "Applies to: block container boxes" even
> though
> it conflicts with a literal reading of the paragraph of CSS 2.1 cited
> above.

"
All elements are considered to have all properties, but some properties
have no rendering effect on some types of elements.
"
1.4.2.3 Applies to
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/about.html#applies-to

> Of course it would be good to fix CSS 2.1 on this point, but evidently the
> CSSWG doesn't wish to devote time to fixing CSS 2.1 errors (especially
> element-vs-box errors) other than by writing CSS3+ specs to supercede
> parts of CSS 2.1.
>
> I wonder, would it be worthwhile maintaining some sort of wiki of
> "apparent
> anomolies" in CSS 2.1, sorted by section number?  If there were such a
> thing,
> would that help avoid people getting misled by the CSS 2.1 text?  The idea
> is
> something that says clearly that no-one has necessarily verified the
> reports,
> so that it doesn't take up CSSWG time, but at least people can be aware of
> text
> that should be treated with suspicion.

This mailing list also lists CSS2.1 text anomalies, examples anomalies,
issues, errors, inaccuracies... and is a form of wiki

Back 2 years ago, I was among the rare who believed there should have been
a CSS 2.2 spec.

Anyway, I don't understand why all these are not added in the Errata.

> pjrm.
>

> (This example also available at
> http://bowman.infotech.monash.edu.au/~pmoulder/html-tests/anon-border-collapse.html
> .)
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
> <head>
> <title>Test of Applies-to lines</title>
> </head>
> collapsed</div>
> collapsed</div>
> collapsed</div>
> separate</div>
> separate</div>
> separate</div>

We have at least 2 tests on border-collapse versus border-spacing:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/collapsing-border-model-010a.htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/collapsing-border-model-010b.htm

Gérard
--