[css3-exclusions] Resolving shape-inside for inline content

From: Bear Travis <betravis@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 02:27:19 -0800
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, Zoltan Horvath <zhorvath@adobe.com>, Bem Jones-Bey <bjonesbe@adobe.com>, Hans Muller <hmuller@adobe.com>
Hi All,

I'm trying to understand which shape-inside should be used when there are multiple shapes applied to the content.

As I understand it, a shape-inside on a block can affect all descendant inline content. A common example would be:

I couldn't find the exact wording, but I believe these [1][2] are the relevant areas of the specification.

My question is, if child blocks also have a shape-inside set (the paragraphs in the above example), which shape-inside should be used? To me, it seems like the shape-inside from the most immediate ancestor should be used.

This also comes into play when shape-inside is set on regions. For example, if the flow content and region both have a shape-inside set, which should be respected? The flow content shape-inside seems like the most immediate to me in this case.

Both of these are probably edge cases, but it would be useful to understand the expected behavior.

-Bear

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-exclusions/#declaring-shapes
[2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-exclusions/#shape-inside-property