Re: [css3-multicol] Applies to block containers

Also sprach Simon Sapin:

 > Le 21/02/2013 00:30, Håkon Wium Lie a écrit :
 > >   > I use "block container" as short for "block container box", defined here:
 > >   >http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-container-box
 > >
 > > But properties apply to elements, not boxes.
 >
 > Do they?

In the context of "applies to:", yes:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/about.html#applies-to

(Property/value combinations can also be set on pseudo-elements,
pseudo-classes, page selectors etc, so the whole story is a bit more
complex.)

 > The cascade results in a computed value for every (property,
 > element pair). The "applies to" concept is a bit more fuzzy. My
 > understanding is that it indicates whether the value is "considered"
 > somehow at some point, or not. But many properties (eg. width) are never
 > considered before box generation.

True. But the value comes via an element.

-h&kon