Re: [css-counter-styles] Influence of 'system' on 'negative' and 'width'

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:07:05AM -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu> wrote:

> > I'd guess that 'negative' should apply to 'numeric', 'additive', and CJK
> > longhand systems, but not 'cyclic', and I believe not 'fixed'.  It might
> > as well apply to the ethiopic system too, just for override purposes.

(Making the list complete: Applying to 'symbolic' and 'alphabetic' might also
be reasonable, always using fallback for zero.)

> There wasn't actually any reason to not support negatives on those, so
> I relaxed the restriction.  I should reset 'negative' to "" for
> several styles, though, thanks for reminding me.

I thought that for cyclic, and ‘fixed -N’, it was also intended not to negate
the counter value before running the algorithm, i.e. I thought that counter
value -1 in

  system: cyclic;
  symbols: "1mod3" "2mod3" "0mod3"

was intended to give "2mod3", while in

  system: fixed -1
  symbols "neg1" "zero" "one"

was intended to give "neg1"; whereas in the current spec one instead gets the
counter values for 1 (with any negative affixes), i.e. "-1mod3" and "-one"
respectively.

pjrm.