[css-counter-styles] discontiguous ranges

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 23:57:17 +1100
To: www-style@w3.org
Considering that:

  - of the ~140 counter styles given both normatively (in previous
    versions of css-counter-styles) and in the examples, not one uses the option of
    multiple ranges;

  - multiple ranges don't add to the expressive power: one can accomplish the same
    with fallback and override (admittedly with less readability);

  - multiple ranges have a cost in testing and implementation (complexity of representation
    and accessing that data structure, and corresponding parsing and its error handling);

  - the current text of http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/ only gives a single range;

I think it reasonable not to implement multiple ranges, and I suggest removing
the option of multiple ranges from the spec.

(No rationale needed if you disagree.)

pjrm.