Re: [css4-images] Add format() hints to image()

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Feb 18, 2013, at 12:50 PM, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> mpo (3d format support by DS browser)
>>>
>> bmp
>>>
>> tiff
>>> eps
>>>

>> Is there any significant use of these formats on the Web, or any reason
>> to start using them? If not, we shouldn't encourage people to use them by
>> supporting them here.
>>

>> The OP request was not to support the formats, it was to identify the
>> formats so that loading of unsupported formats could be skipped without an
>> http request. So, while I don't expect significant use on the Web, I would
>> expect some support for tiff and eps in some non-Web implementations, such
>> as Prince or WeasyPrint, perhaps. Maybe even some ePub implementations?
>> EPS is very common in professional print production, even for raster images
>> (especially for CMYK). So is TIFF.
>>

> Is that still the case?
> I thought PDF pretty much replaced those classic formats. The Adobe
> publishing apps have to jump through a bunch of hoops to support EPS
> properly. PDF is much easier and more reliable.
>

> It is where I work, although I think the EPS files might also contain code
> to allow opening as a PDF or something.

hmm, you have to be very careful in your workflow or that code is
destroyed. In general, I believe that we discourage people from creating
device dependent EPS.

> But we export EPS from photoshop in CMYK frequently, and it includes a
> preview image for faster rendering in InDesign.

Why not link directly to PSD?

> We mainly use TIFF for one bit images, as they are easy to colorize (even
> in spot colors) in programs like InDesign.
>
> This is mostly done by other people where I work now, so I may be a little
> rusty on the details.

I think EPS is old-school so shouldn't be included. (PDF is much better)
The fact that it is executable code (Postscript is a programming language
after all) should be enough to not include it as a supported format.