[selectors4] ID selector syntax: HASH or #+IDENT?

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:02:01 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

Since CSS 2.1, the syntax of ID selectors has been defined in prose as
'#' followed by an identifier.

However, since Level 3, selectors also have a grammar where ID selectors
are represented by a HASH token, which is more permissive than #+IDENT.
For example, 1 is not a valid IDENT but #1 is a valid HASH.

Test case:
data:text/html,<body id=1><style>%231{background:green

This is green in Opera and IE, not in Firefox and Chrome. The former
accept any HASH for ID selectors, while the latter probably restrict the
syntax to valid identifiers.

Since ID selectors are tokenized as HASH tokens, restricting to valid
identifier requires an extra check in implementations. I suggest going
with the simpler choice and allow any HASH token.

Proposed change: in 6.7 of Selectors 4, replace this sentence:

> An ID selector contains a "number sign" (U+0023, #) immediately
> followed by the ID value, which must be an CSS identifiers.

with

> An ID selector is given as a HASH token

Perhaps with a link to CSS21/syndata.html#tokenization

If we do want to restrict to identifiers, the grammar in 16.1 would
need to be fixed somehow.

--
Simon Sapin