Re: [css3-syntax] SVG presentation attributes (Re: Critique of Feb 15 draft

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:09:17 +1100
To: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, www-style@w3.org
On 18/02/13 8:41 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> Another difference from CSS tokenization is that in SVG presentation
> attributes, units must be in lower case, i.e. 9PT is an illegal value rather
> than being equivalent to 9pt as in CSS.

This is changing for SVG 2, although I haven't yet made the
corresponding specification change.

> A consequence of these differences is that the CSS tokenizer can't be
> used for reading SVG presentation attributes.  (The tokenization is much
> simpler, and one would typically implement as parsing the character stream
> directly rather than going through a tokenizer abstraction.)
>
> So the question of what flags the tokenizer in css3-syntax needs for
> presentation attributes is actually moot.
>
> I've cc'd Cameron McCormack of Mozilla, as he was considering having the SVG
> spec changed to use CSS tokenization.  However, that was before we considered
> the above-quoted sections as to the purpose of presentation attributes in SVG.

Thanks, yes I raised that recently here:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2013Jan/0088.html

I am in favour of requiring support for CSS in SVG 2, but that's
something that we in the SVG WG have not had a proper discussion about.
  There's a much stronger case for allowing full CSS value syntax in
presentation attributes if CSS support is required.