Re: [css3-syntax] legal implementability

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:47:14 -0500
To: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 08:57 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu> wrote:

> I recommend taking this up with W3C's legal staff if you think there
> really is a problem, as the members of this group cannot realistically
> answer any legal questions about W3C's copyright.

I believe team-legal at w3.org would get you there.

I think in general we (W3C) distinguish between implementing a
specification and translating it. It's OK to implement a spec - you are
not "translating it into C" because your goal there isn't that
programmers would read the C code and marvel at it, but rather that you
would make a running program that implements the ideas in the
specification.

It is for this reason that we have a different license for the test
suites, which generally contain running code.

Liam

Co-author, 5th edition of "Beginning XML", Wrox, 2012