Re: [css3-conditional] specifying behavior of CSSGroupingRule.insertRule

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 09:24:33 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> The remaining issue on css3-conditional that needs to be resolved
> before it goes to CR is specifying the behavior of insertRule
> correctly.
>
> In particular, it needs to specify:
>  * when it throws SYNTAX_ERR (in particular, whether it does when
>    the input string is something other than a single syntactically
>    valid CSS rule, e.g., when it's the empty string, when it
>    contains garbage after a rule, or when it contains more than one
>    rule)
>  * what the return value is
[snip]
> So my conclusion is that I'd like to specify the WebKit behavior
> here, i.e., the option1 test above.

I agree.

Supporting this confirms that I need to rewrite the parser section of
Syntax to be recursive-descent, however.  I can't figure out any way
to get this behavior out of the current parser design without weird
hacks.  (Some types of garbage after the rule would produce a second
rule, others wouldn't.)

> I expect these clarifications should also apply to
> CSSStyleSheet.insertRule as well.

Yes.