Re: [css-syntax] value grammar, <value> type and browser implementations

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 07:05:47 -0800
To: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Fran├žois REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> I noticed [css-syntax] was being discussed at Tuscon F2F. While you're at
> it, I propose to rationalize the <value> syntax. Right now, browsers don't
> seem to get it right, and even independent parsers like JSCSSP seems to
> diverge from the actual spec in this regard.

The use of the value production from 2.1 isn't desirable in any case.
What we actually want to do is simply say that it has no grammar -
that every possible property value is valid for a custom property.
That way, the only limitation is what is automatically imposed by the
parser itself.

Pending dbaron's review and hopeful approval of Syntax, I'll switch
Variables over to a definition like that.